Criminal Injuries Compensation

A claim may be available through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), which provides compensation for victims of a violent crime, including sexual abuse.

Who can make a claim?

The person who is entitled to bring a claim is the person who has suffered the abuse or neglect. This person is known as the claimant.

Where the claimant is an adult and has full mental capacity, we will liaise with him or her directly in order to obtain information and push the claim forward.

Where the claimant is a child or lacks mental capacity in some other way , a third party can act as the claimant’s “litigation friend”, which will allow them to make decisions on behalf of the claimant.

In any case where a litigation friend is necessary, only one person may act as the litigation friend. However, there are a number of people who may be able to carry out the role, such as:

  • Parent or guardian of the claimant;
  • husband/wife of the claimant;
  • son or daughter of the claimant;
  • another family member;
  • a friend;
  • someone with a lasting or enduring power of attorney in relation to the claimant;
  • a court-appointed deputy; and
  • other third parties, such as a solicitor or a professional advocate.

There may be some cases where a claimant has mental capacity but is unable to deal with the claim because they are, for example, extremely vulnerable or suffer from one or more significant psychological disorders. In those cases, they may need assistance from another person to help deal with the claim.

Where the claimant authorises us, we can liaise with an appointed third party, who can act on the claimant’s behalf on an informal basis. Again, the claim will still be brought in the name of the abused person and he or she will need to make some of the bigger decisions and provide their authority in various situations, such as for obtaining their records or agreeing to settle the claim.